The Chicago Police Department reports that two people were killed and two others were injured in a shooting outside of a high school on a Friday afternoon.
Superintendent David Brown of the Chicago Police Department told reporters during a press briefing on Friday night that gunfire erupted as students were being dismissed from Benito Juarez High School at around 2:00 p.m.
According to the police, all four of the victims of the shooting have been taken to local hospitals. According to Brown, two people were killed and two others were in critical condition at the hospital.
According to Brown, police have not determined whether or not the shooters were students at the school. There was also a lack of information regarding the victims’ ages.
“The investigation and the accumulating of video evidence are both new at this point. Assumptions are completely out of place “In Brown’s words.
- Lana Rhoades’ Kids Continue To Be The Subject Of Negative Memes, And Their Fathers’ Grounds For Being Negat!
Brown Has Said That At This Time There Are No Suspects In Custody
Police spokesman Tom Ahern said that several hours after the shooting, Chicago Public Schools gave the “all clear” to students at the affected school.
Chicago Public Schools CEO Pedro Martinez told reporters, “All of us are trying to find answers.” And the fact that it occurred on our property makes me very anxious. A large number of concerned parents gathered at the school to await word on their children.
“It’s scary to find out that your daughter is at one of those schools that just got shot,” parent Emanuel Orozco told ABC Chicago affiliate WLS.
On The Spot, Langford Said, A Boy Was One Of The Victims Who Had Already Died
While the initial reports indicated that two people, a boy, and a girl, were in critical condition, Langford later clarified that their injuries were not life-threatening.
The two survivors, Brown reported late Friday night, were in critical condition in the hospital. Brown stated that the shooting took place just before 2 p.m. when students were being released from school in a staggered fashion. The superintendent has stated that “At this time, we do not have offenders identified.” It’s fair to say that our probe is vigorous.
A tweet from Chicago police spokesman Tom Ahern indicated that the shooting had taken place outside the school and that students were now safe to return.
Chicago Public Schools officials have stated that extra security will be added to the campus on Monday as a preventative measure, and that crisis counseling will be made available to staff and students who need it.
Concerned that “this happened on our grounds,” CEO Pedro Martinez said as much at a press conference on Friday.
Around the same time, less than 2 miles north of the high school violence, another shooting occurred, Brown said, leaving one dead and another critically injured.
Update From The Police On The Shooting At Juarez High School
A volunteer crossing guard outside the school reported hearing six to eight gunshots at around 2:30 p.m., shortly after students had been turned away. When he looked down, he saw two teenagers lying on the floor, their backpacks on the floor beside them.
He claimed that the principal had yelled at the students to return inside after the shooting and that the school had been locked down before the students were eventually sent home at 3:30.
At approximately 2:45 p.m., Juarez’s parent Emanuel Orozco received a call from his daughter informing him of the shooting.
They were told to go to the nearest classroom after he said, “She said she was coming out,” and he believed the instructions came from school security. The situation is terrifying, to say the least.
Nicasio Rogel, a crossing guard at the school, is also the father of a son who is a sophomore there. He stated that he counted between six and eight gunshots and observed two victims lying on the ground with their packs still on.
Brown stated that it is unknown if the victims were Juarez students because the information has not been confirmed.
By Friday night, neither a suspect nor a shooter had been located or apprehended. Brown stated that private video footage and POD cameras were being sought by police at the scene of the crime.
Brown was joined by the CEO of Chicago Public Schools, Pedro Martinez, for the news conference on Friday night. Martinez remarked that incidents like these in the classroom will always raise serious concerns. He assured us that preparations are being made by CPS to offer substantial assistance to students and families upon their Monday morning return.